String coils affect stability?

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Sun Mar 25 14:28:10 MST 2007

Hi Ron,

No, I'm talking about sloppy coils (or not so sloppy looking) that have not
yet been tapped on old uprights with full humidity control systems. And
they do manifest as smeared unisons, at least for me. Perhaps this is why I
do have uprights that exhibit extreme stability--such as 2 cents change in
2 years in the temperament octave.

I don't charge the client for tightening up the coils as I see it as part
of "full service", so this is not a "cash grab" on my part.

As I said, I do a "go nogo" test on three pins on the initial visit even if
the coils look marvelous. I'm always happy to find an instrument which
doesn't need tapping.

Of course, there are always exceptions. I'd not do it to a piano that was
to be used for a concert on that day.

At 12:30 PM 3/25/2007 -0600, you wrote:

>Don,
>This sounds to me like you're talking about tapping and
>settling coils. I'm not. Tapping coils and getting measurable
>pitch changes is *not* tuning instability any more than
>dumping a piano down a flight of stairs and finding wavy
>unisons afterward is. Untouched, those non-neat coils will
>themselves manifest no tuning stability problem at all year
>after year after year unless someone disturbs them by tapping
>and settling. That is, of course, after the initial settling
>after stringing. The neatest coils you ever saw will likely
>produce a pitch change when tapped if coils haven't been
>touched since it was originally strung and settled. This
>doesn't mean to me that they need tapped, or the customer
>needs to pay for it, because they'll not be a problem left alone.
>Ron N
Regards,

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner