3:1 12th s? Verituner

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Mar 25 14:40:29 MST 2007

I agree entirely Jason

I use what amounts to the 5:4:3:2: and 1: partials to achieve an aural
perfect 12ths tuning all the time.  The control note is the one with the
5th partial. If for example you are tuning  C6, then A#3 is the control
note and you will be comparing beat rates of C4, F4, C5 and C6.

Its late here so I'll post a complete routine for aurally doing this
tommorrow

Cheers
RicB

Essentially this yields placing your octave stretch consistently.

    There are some powerful arguments for using perfect 3:1. Because ET
    fifths
    (and twelfths) are contracted, but pianos need stretch, the perfect 3:1
    brings these two factors into alignment -- the beating twelfths become
    beatless and the resulting stretch handles the inharmonicity of the
    octaves.
    All Baldassin's work is about aligning harmonics -- we generally
    hear the
    3rd partial pretty strongly, and if it's perfect that can make for a
    very
    nice tuning. Look in the archives for P12.
    Jason