String coils affect stability?

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Mar 25 14:20:45 MST 2007

Hi Richard

No doubt you will hear several varying opinions here.  In my experience
sloppy coils can but do not necessarily have an effect on stability. If
a light tap on the pin itself results in some slippage... well you've
diagnosed and found a problem pin.  It does certainly no harm to pull
them tight and it looks nicer to be sure.  But I dont think I would
overrate this one.  That said... I certainly have not looked closely
enough at any real experience/data/ whatever to speak with authority on
the matter. I would guess that this is not a major problem, but thats a
guess. I'd welcome and solid information one way or the other tho.

In the mean time... pull up the coils and make them look good.  And at
the same time relieve whatever itch you have on the issue.  You can tune
as you go and it wont cost you more then perhaps an extra half hour 45
minutes me thinks.

Cheers
RicB

    I have a Steinway M in my care that has been restrung/rebuilt.  The
    coils on the tuning pins are not drawn up tight, as I would expect.
    Can this have an effect on stability?  Does it affect anything
    else?  Would there be any advantage (several years after the
    restringing--don't know how many) to backing off the tension, and
    retighten while lifting the coils?  Or would it be best to leave
    everything alone and just tune it?

    Richard Morgan