steinway archive photo-Tom

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 24 22:16:43 MST 2007

At 12:00 PM 3/24/2007,<jimfrazee at msn.com> wrote:
>Subject: Re: steinway archive photo-Tom
>Message: 6
>
>Tom,
>
>That's the same way they do it today.  It's left out there for a
>year or more, then taken to inside storage and finally into the kiln
>drying process.

Actually, back then Steinway used to leave the wood out in the yard
for several years - up to five. After they sold off their second
plant and reduced their real estate holdings, they no longer had the
space to do this - so they reduced the outdoor drying/seasoning to a
year or so and started depending a lot more on kiln-drying. That
explanation I got during a factory tour some years ago (when Bill
Garlick was there).

Israel Stein