String coils affect stability?

Richard Morgan rsanbornmorgan at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 24 19:11:58 MST 2007

I have a Steinway M in my care that has been restrung/rebuilt.  The coils on the tuning pins are not drawn up tight, as I would expect.  Can this have an effect on stability?  Does it affect anything else?  Would there be any advantage (several years after the restringing--don't know how many) to backing off the tension, and retighten while lifting the coils?  Or would it be best to leave everything alone and just tune it?

Richard Morgan

Get your own web address.