How much tuning pin in pinblock?

PAULREVENKOJONES paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Sat Mar 24 18:25:10 MST 2007

How much tuning pin in pinblock?Jon:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always aimed for a tuning pin/block relationship that, irrespective of the actual measures, ends up with the same dimension between the coil/plate as there is at the bottom of the pinhole in the block. In other words, if the coil height is, for example, 3/16", then there should be approximately 3/16" available between the bottom of the pin and the bottom of the pin hole/bottom of the pin block. The other dimensions then sort themselves out if one chooses the right pin size and block thickness. Does that make sense? It almost always works out to approximately what you calculated: between 1" and 1 1/8" of pin in the hole.

Paul

"If you want to know the truth, stop having opinions" (Chinese fortune cookie)

In a message dated 03/24/07 18:18:04 Central Daylight Time, jonpage at comcast.net writes:
>How much of pin should ideally be in block?

As my grandmother used to say to my relatives when divulging ingredients
for recipes for her fantastic pies: Enough but not too much.

Generally speaking, The top of the pin usually is anywhere from 7/8" to 1"
above the plate. Allowing for a 3/8" thickness of plate at tuning pin field,
with a 2 3/8" pin, that leaves 1" and 1 1/8" into the block respectively.

Subtract from that the 3/16" bevel at the bottom of the pin, leaving...
um... er... why can't we use metric?  :-) ...   Enough but not too much...

A lot depends on the block material and bore diameter/drill speed.
--

Regards,

Jon Page