Facts and nots : was Recommend Rebuilder?

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Mar 24 02:17:20 MST 2007

Hi John,

    What I was thinking was, that if boards are glued together, then the
    compression takes place. If some of those wood fibers compress, and
    form the
    ridge, then the measurement, is less than if that portion had not
    compressed
    more than the rest, so the crown would be less. Or is the crown the
    same,
    because of the ribs, and the board just came in from the edges?

There is no calculation that can perfectly describe the amount of crown
and how evenly it will develop over the entire surface of the panel. Tho
no doubt one could calculate this assuming that wood was perfectly even
in its strength characteristics. Wood isn't tho, so in that sense of the
word there is the unpredictability that so much is made of by opponents
of the method.  And indeed... producers of CC soundboards don't use
those kinds of formulas to predict the degree of crown. They use
empirical methods established a long time ago and I for one find these
every bit as valid a method as using beam bearing formulas to calculate
load bearing capacities that are to be matched against downbearing
amounts. Its simply a different perspective offering different results,
both structurally and acoustically.

I'm reminded of a discussion about comparing the Lowel downbearing gauge
with Hartmans.  Much do to about nothing when it came down to it.

Crown however will be insignificantly changed by the presence of a few
ridges.  The width of a ridge compared as a percentage of the width of
the panel itself more or less says this in itself.  I'd agree tho, they
don't look particularly nice... and they as such subject the method to
lots of that same kind of hype (only in reverse) we hear so much about.
But the fact remains that the major players on the field use this method
successfully and have done so for a very long time. One simply can not
escape this point, nor that this fact would be impossible even if the
postulated flaws of the method were even a 10th of a percent as serious
as claimed.

That said... other methods of crowning also have been used successfully
for a very long time.  And if the RC&S concept is really anything new...
it certainly has proved itself as well. As has the laminated panel, at
least by one rebuilder of note.

Cheers
RicB

    I hope someone, knows what I am trying to say, as I am having a problem
    expressing myself. Obviously a field, I have not studied.
    John M. Ross
    Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
    jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca