Chopin's piano found in English country house

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri Mar 23 16:54:05 MST 2007

Well, at least the headline in The Scotsman newspaper had a more restrained
tone than that in The Times!

Incidentally, when I said previously "Give me the modern concert grand every
time", I exaggerated for rhetorical effect.  Eighty percent of the time
would be about right for me, I think. The remaining twenty percent indeed
offers interesting aural and musical possibilities.

Years ago at the Piano Tuners' Association convention I attended a lecture
and class by Derek Adlam
(http://www.musicprofiles.co.uk/no2/green/index.htm) at which he talked
about and demonstarted various techniques in building reproduction early
pianos.  It was very good and he spoke with a most delightful precise and
plummy English accent. I still recall the sound of him saying "It's a
combination of all these lightnesses...."

Best,

David Boyce.