Facts and nots : was Recommend Rebuilder?

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Mar 23 15:11:47 MST 2007

Hi John

The whole reason for compression boards is an involved, to say the
least, discussion. Compression ridges in themselves do little or nothing
to the sound of the instrument... nor do the cracks that eventually show
themselves because of these or because of a lack of enough compression
when the board was assembled.

What compression ridges show are lengths of the soundboard where the
wood has been compressed beyond its tolerance.. the cells are destroyed
in the sense that their ability to swell or grow if you will with RH
increases to. They are simply crushed.  That in itself is not a big
problem when it comes right down to it either... at least acoustically.
A board with severe compression set could be reused as an RC & S panel
quite successfully... which makes one ponder a bit on what is actually
implied by compression damage.

A board fails to respond acoustically because of other developments in
the panel... that can very well be related to compression damage... or
because the support against crown may not be sufficient in a given
area... or because of  other reasons.

As such... a compression ridge simply shows a weakness in the soundboard
that may (and probably will) develop eventually into a crack... and may
or may not turn into an acoustic problem given enough time and large
enough climatic instability.

At least... thats what I hear from most holds, and it seems to match
well with my experience through some 30 odd plus years of working with
pianos.

Cheers
RicB

    Speaking of compression boards.
    What I can't comprehend, is the fact that compression ridges, are
    apparently
    ok, by some.

    How can they figure out the crown?
    Do they know how much of a compression ridge there is going to be,
    and allow
    for it?

    This seems to me to be impossible.

    Or is there something, I am missing?