Facts and nots : was Recommend Rebuilder?

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Mar 23 13:11:53 MST 2007

Evidently you can... I think he mean Yamaha.  And I remember both times
I was at the Academy asking several folks about the question of how much
they dried out their soundboards before attaching ribs and the answer
was I believe 3.5 %.... I'll have to check the archives for a post on
that I made with a fresher memory of the Masters course... but I think
3.5 % was the figure they gave me.  I asked also if they knew what Kawai
did and couldnt get an answer.

This is one of the problems I see with the huge point made by many
against compression boards.  All kinds of pianos are produced this
way... and when I step back and try as objectively see how they hold up
over time.... I just dont see that the degree criticisms are levied are
justified.  That by no means implies I dont like the results some of the
other methods mentioned.  In fact it says nothing at all about what I
think of other methods.  But if anyone is in doubt I think I am on
record time and time again expressing very high enthusiasm for those
RC&S, RC and laminated board based pianos displayed at PTG conventions
by various list contributers.

Heck.. what can I say.. I like pianos.. and dont have a major problem
with how you build them, as long as you do good work. And noooooo--- I
wont bite on a further definition of what good work implies... I really
dont think I need to.

Cheers
RicB

    Can you even get a glue joint to bond when the wood MC is 3%?

    What is YA?

    Terry Farrell