"Seasoning"

Dave Davis dave at davispiano.com
Fri Mar 23 08:25:14 MST 2007

In the Pacific NW, rivers and Puget Sound (saltwater) are used for transportation. The logs are bundled, built into rafts, and towed to the sawmills or export docks, by tugs. There are many pilings, similar to those shown in Scotland - but not nearly so old- in most of our waterways. Ron N's right (of course) about keeping the logs damp to avoid splitting. The big log yards inland, have huge sprinkler systems that keep the logs wet when it isn't raining (which isn't often this time of year...).

Another "seasoning" that hasn't come up for awhile is the "freezing" method, to improve tone.

Dave Davis, RPT