Perlman story

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Thu Mar 22 20:36:14 MST 2007

The 2 times I have seen violin soloists break a string in concert,
the soloists traded with the first violinist, who then traded back
again to the back of the section.  In one case I watched the back
person replace the string and hand it back forward, and the other
time someone from backstage took it and changed the string and passed it back.

Even this is quite a challenge, though, as violins really are
different from one another!  Playing difficult music in tune on a
strange violin is a real test of virtuosity!

Don Mannino