New Steinway A - backchecks etc.

David Renaud drjazzca at yahoo.ca
Thu Mar 22 14:57:57 MST 2007

I have a client with a new Steinway A.

>From Stienways website concerning the A

"parts are bushed with specially treated wool action
cloth for freedom from
friction."
..................what are they treating them
with......I had to teflon some wippen heals
to eliminate some noise. Bushing squeak....

   The backchecks make lots of noise, and are covered
in  a material I do not recognize. It appears to me as
it might be a synthetic material appearing like cloth
with a foamy texture.
That or they treated the leather with something that
really changed its texture and appearance.

   Lightly brushing my finger against these backchecks
produces a distinct
loud whoosh whoosh. Expesially the bass hammers impact
on the backchecks are bothersome to me. This is not
audible on Forte, there a tiny bit on pp
playing, quite evident with the action out alone. The
pianist had noticed.

    Also the bushing squeak. Teflon powder has been
used,and it is better, but the squeak comes back. They
treat those bushing with something? I know the dealer
that prepped this piano is fond of Mclube on the key
pins. hmmm...thinking here.

    Please, thoughts.
   What is the story on the new A backchecks.
    For the price, what happened to traditional
doeskin  leather.

    Another aside, the knuckles are much firmer
material then I expect, and noisy until adding a bit
of Teflon powder.

Cheers

David  Renaud