Facts and nots : was Recommend Rebuilder?

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Mar 22 13:52:21 MST 2007

I think there are a lot of folks out there who read and understood
completely. And I dont think there is any quarrel about the factual
material presented. There is some significant disagreement about some of
the conclusions you make, and the degree of seriousness of some of the
technical problems you describe.

I say this without taking any standpoint on the general issue at all,
which of course I could and do in other contexts.  But its enough here
to observe that significant numbers of major builders and designers in
the world, who are versed in the various methods of soundboard building
do not agree with all your conclusions.

And,  I think that this basic discussion in one form or another has been
going on for about as long as folks have been building soundboards.
Perhaps not in exactly the angle you tackle the subject matter... but
just so.

Cheers
RicB

    Some years ago in a couple of PTJ articles I did my best to explain the
    technical problems associated with the compression crowning
    technique. Either
    very few folks read them, folks read them but my explanations and
    writing style
    were confusing, folks disagreed with what I wrote (though the facts
    are easily
    verifiable in the pertinent technical literature) or, perhaps, we
    just forget.

    Perhaps it's time for someone else to take a stab at it.

    Del
    Delwin D Fandrich
    Piano Design & Manufacturing Consultant
    620 South Tower Avenue