Facts and nots : was Recommend Rebuilder?

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Mar 22 13:45:25 MST 2007

Del just reminded us of his article series on the subject, and as I
understand the reasoning and what factual material he presents,
compression ridges are simply bound to form in significant numbers
whenever the compression crowned soundboard method is used.  CC boards
and variants have been made for-like-ever so either Del is wrong, which
he isnt, or ridges have been around as long as boards have been made
this way... and quite likely in similar numbers.  Better materials in
the past (if thats indeed true to begin with) could perhaps influence
that picture somewhat... but the principles of compression crowning
remain the same.

Cheers
RicB

    I guess the older Steinways were not manufactured correctly, as I don't
    recollect any mention of this before.  So obviously, they just
    learned to
    make them correctly. :-)
    John M. Ross
    Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada