birdcage primer?

Robert & Wendy Gray rwgray at wnc.quik.co.nz
Thu Mar 22 12:30:39 MST 2007

Hi Holly

I am in a area where I am asked to tune birdcage piano's quite often. I approach the tuning by removing the action & mute all the  piano to one string, replace the action, tune the hole piano to one string, pull the action forward, remove the mute to leave the piano with two strings open, replace the action & tune all open unisons, pull the action forward, remove all mute, replace the action, tune the rest of the unisons, with the help of Pap's mutes. Then fine tune with Pap's mutes.
With this system I can tune the piano just as quickly as the under-damper action pianos. I would be interested to hear if there are any other way's to tune birdcage pianos apart from dumping the pianos & replacing the modern action pianos.

Robert