SV: Re: SV: Recommend Rebuilder?

Aras aras6310 at yahoo.se
Thu Mar 22 10:25:45 MST 2007

Hi Baoli,
I dont know much about the NY made instruments as we only see prewar examples here in Europe. And I dont know either about their repair shop as I was educated in rebuilding by S&S here.
It is possible that you could get a better sound with a new soundboard but I am not so sure about that (I am aware that people have a different taste)
You said that your B was made in Hamburg and so the wood in the soundboard is quite different from the wood used now. This old wood comes from the Alp region where the fiddle makers also get their wood.
Today S&S, YA and most of the other manufacturers use this north american wood which they say is just as good, but fiddle makers will not use it.
It does not really matter how many cracks there are in the soundboard - I would repair the old one.
If you get a repair shop to change the pinblock do try to get one from the factory.

No, i dont think either that your repair shop will get into trouble. The case here was that the rebuildings was put into a kind of industry where customers were going to by a Steinway which in fact was not a Steinway.

Best regards
Aras.

baoli liu <baoli_liu at yahoo.com> skrev: Hi Aras,

The soundboard has to be replaced for good
sounding.I'd like to let the Steinway factory to do it
if i have enough budget.
There are many rebuilders in USA who replace
soundboards,pinblock etc'. no one got into trouble.
Baoli

--- Aras  wrote:

> Changing the soundboard and pinblock is a factory
> job when it comes to Steinway. In this case it is of
> great importance to use original parts to save the
> quality.
> Mr Fenner in Germany once changed the soundboard and
> pinblock in a B grand to make it "better" and S&S
> put him to court for calling it a Steinway after the
> repair, so he had to change the name on the
> fallboard and hide the name on the frame.
> Now these B grands are sold under the name Fenner.
>
> baoli liu  skrev: Hi list,
>
> Trying to find a rebuilder to rebuild a 100-year-old
> German Steinway B.This piano needs new soundboard,
> pinblock and refinishing,I will do the rest.
>
> Any recommendations? You may respond privately.
> Thanks in advance!
> Baoli

> Now that's room service!  Choose from over 150,000
> hotels
> in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel to find your
> fit.

> Stava rätt! Stava lätt! Yahoo! Mails stavkontroll
> tar hand om tryckfelen och mycket mer! Få den på
http://se.mail.yahoo.com

Finding fabulous fares is fun.