The Steinway tradition (was SV rebuild)

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Mar 22 06:46:35 MST 2007

Ed
  Again a beautiful post especially the underlined.   After 35 years of
hearing marketing hype & other B.S. this kind of  ignorance/dishonesty is just
sheer comedy.  I mean do people really believe  this stuff?
  Come on.
  Dale:

The "eye of the  market" depends on a lot of customer ignorance, and it
seems that the  marketing department likes it like that.  My local dealer  is
fond
of telling new Steinway customers that I am not qualified to work  on a
Steinway, because I haven't been to the  school.  He doesn't realize I have
been to
the school, as well as graduating from the North Bennett School, as well  as
maintaining a school full of my Steinway restorations,(which are
increasingly
bringing me business from other schools in the state when  they play them),
as
well as maintaining the home Steinways of three  Steinway Artists in town for
the
last 28  years.  I am not going to say anything to him  about this,
preferring
to let him cut his own throat.
What I think he is trying to avoid is having a  new piano examined by
someone that is not under the thumb of the  factory.  No need to tell
customers
about all those nicked front  pins, now, is there?  There is a long list of
normal
defects that  would have to be addressed if customers had objective
evaluations of their  new Steinway.  Is this tradition?
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT