Recommend Rebuilder?

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Mar 22 02:09:28 MST 2007

Hi Dale

I think I would like to know more specifics about that mysterious
rebuild which has been refered to a couple times. Where it really came
from, who actually did the job, what happened to it on the way... etc
etc.  before drawing too many conclusions about it.  If it turns out to
be a purely botched job then so be it.  If whatever ends up being the
cause of the instrument being in the condition a couple have observed
then blaming the rebuilder without further ado whomever they are
seems... well ....

That said... as I've stated in other posts I think the idea that only
this or that or the other guy can restore a piano to a very high degree
of quality is wrong.  On the other hand... I've seen a couple real
interesting rebuilds of one type of piano into another.  A Grotrian
rebuilt by the Bechstein restoration facility comes to mind... very
strange thing... the owner loves it tho.... :)

Cheers
RicB

    If some one believes this then I assume  there  is  also magic
    soundboard
    wood. I wonder why that fresh Steinway rebuild at  the Rochester
    convention had a
    flat board & no tone......& yes it just  came from the restoration
    dept....but... oh the're the only ones that can do  it. Why... I
    hadn't heard. Yes and I
    put a string acroos the bottom of  the belly. Yes, I put bearing
    gauges on
    the top.   Nada,zip.
      Oh well ignorance can be bliss. I need to hire there  Marketing
    guy...he's
    good
      Dale