Unbelievable Workmanship

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Mon Mar 19 23:33:05 MST 2007

I find this all the time, almost always on Steinways, and with the
original flanges.  Why?  Does the keybed swell upward?  Does the action
expand?  Does the plate/pinblock somehow come down toward the keybed?
It's quite common.  Does our dry climate in Colorado cause the action
cavity to shrink?  I don't get it.  Turning glide bolts up doesn't help -
well, sometimes a tiny bit, but still, something else has gone wrong.
        --David Nereson, RPT