Pinblock Question

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Mar 19 18:06:27 MST 2007

Hey Phil,

I agree, that seems odd. Without a doubt, European piano manufacturers were
generally behind the evolution of the piano in North America. Can I assume
you found what appeared to be a serial number? Where was it?

I have a 1900 Bechstein grand model A1. It has a full plate web covering the
pinblock. I would hate to believe that Bechstein would go modern with their
grands, and not the uprights. Especially the 85-note thing. I really suspect
your piano is more like 1880s. Does it have modern capstans or does it have
the (oh gosh, what do you call it) screwed down lever thingee that attaches
the key to the wippen? My 1900 Becky has modern capstans.

Boy, now I re-read your post. I can't imagine it is 1929 - I was thinking
the question was just after the turn of the Century (two ago) - 1929, seems
near impossible to me. Maybe one of our European contributors can chime in.

Terry Farrell