tuning bass

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 14:57:33 MST 2007

When m3=M6, you have a just 6:3 octave. So, yes, they should beat the same
for that octave type.

Now, I'd have to check my On Pitch book b/c I don't recall offhand...but I
think the lower you go, you also start hearing some of the partials above
the 6:3. Therefore, it gets kind of hard to hear in the lower bass. I
generally hear all kinds of junk noise on these low octaves, and have to
listen carefully to filter it out. However, you can also use a different
test to check the 6:3.

OK, just looked in the book, and another 6:3 test is the P12-P5. When they
beat the same, it is a just 6:3 octave.

Hope this helps. Maybe someone else will chime in here. I feel like this is
only a partial answer. (Sorry for that <g>.)

JF

P.S. Another good bass check is the octave + a minor 7th. This is used to
check for even progression. Example: C2-Bb3, then descend by half steps.
Keeps you in the ball park.