chisels over to bridge height

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Mar 19 12:43:05 MST 2007

Hi Terry

Thanks for the answer on this.  I got another answer just today from a
friend in Danmark who says Bosendorfers do their bridges this way.  The
bridge is fixed on the panel, soundboard temporarily screwed down and
its placement indexed, and then one runs a thin string... fishing line..
whatever... from the middle string hole in the agraffe to the middle
hitch pin, usually for each A on the long bridge... or something like
that.  Then a chisel is use to make a cut like a notch edge back to
where the notch will be.  The wire (fishing line) is then run through
to gauge the bridge height and one planes down to the desired height and
angle.  The string in this scheme should leave the back of the bridge
and make no angle downwards to the hitch pin so you dont need to worry
about doing the same thing on the back side of the bridge.  Seems easy
and sensible enough.

So.... problem solved.  I'm just waiting for the final scale figures
from a designer over here before proceeding.  The trick with the rib
notches and epoxy putty works great... btw.  Poifict fit as it twere.

Cheers
RicB

    Terry Farrell volunteered:

    Interesting question. And it would become more of an issue as the
    backscale
    and speaking length decrease - as you say, in the high treble.

    I do my downbearing adjustments prior to installing the cap. I make
    little
    blocks of wood the same thickness as my cap, and I make them as wide
    as the
    front-to-rear bridge pin spacing will be. I then plane down my
    bridge root
    to whatever height I need so that after cap installation, I have my
    desired
    downbearing. That eliminates the concern you have with your situation.

    But you likely have your cap glued on already.

    You could get your high school trig book out and calculate the
    amount of
    apparent increased downbearing you would need in order to result in the
    lesser desired downbearing after notching.

    Or maybe the difference is so small that folks don't really worry
    about it?

    Could this be part of building pianos, each of which has its own
    personality?

    Terry Farrell