Broadwood Bass string

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Mar 19 10:42:40 MST 2007

At 8:27 pm -0500 18/3/07, Annie Grieshop wrote:

>A related question:  is there a single source of at least general
>information about the history of wire manufacture and string making?  After
>listening to Chopin on the 1883 Chickering last week, I questioned how the
>materials/construction/sound of modern strings differ from what would have
>been on that piano originally, and nobody could tell me.  Thanks for any
>pointers........

Though I am not familiar with Chickerings, since unfortunately they
are rare in Europe, an 1883 piano is practically a modern piano and
very different from the pianos Chopin played, which were pre-1850
(the year Henry Steinway moved to America), after which there were
many hugely important developments, not least in the tensile strength
of steel wire.  Between 1867 and 1893 Poehlmann set the pace for
piano wire, so that in 1876 their No. 17 wire broke at 342 lbs.
compared with Washburn and Moen's 242 lbs.  I guess Chickering would
have used Poehlmann wire at this time, as most great European makers
did.  Today's wire is not as good in any way as Poehlmann's and has
not the same tensile strength, with the result that the strings on a
piano strung with modern wire will be close to their breaking strain,
and that is all to the good in some cases.  As to the covered
strings, unless Chickering originally used iron covering wire, there
will be very little essential difference.  Steinway used iron
covering wire at one stage but that was earlier, probably about 1865.

You can reckon the sound of Chopin's Pleyel was very different from
_any_ 1883 piano.  I made the strings for one of Chopin's pianos
about 20 years ago and probably still have the scale, as well as
several others from the period.  Last year I made the strings for a
piano identical to Chopin's little upright Pleyel using modern (R)
wire.  My colleague was not happy with the extreme bass, so we remade
them using a weaker make of core wire and there was a marked
improvement.

Almost certainly the 1883 Chickering will have had more purity and
clarity than most of today's pianos, many of which I hate to hear,
especially the hateful Bösendorfer, which makes any melody in the
bass sound like an earthquake or a washing machine.  In my opinion
the piano has gone downhill since about 1905.

JD