Advice on tuning techniques for recovering tendonitis sufferer

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Mon Mar 19 06:02:02 MST 2007

Robert writes:

<< lateral epicondylitis in my left arm, or tennis elbow. I am not sure if I
got this by practicing the piano, tuning pianos, lifting a heavy suitcase,
playing golf or what. I have had a couple of cortisone injections and physical
therapy sessions, and now the problem has almost disappeared. <snip>the last
thing I want to happen is to aggravate my arm and for this problem to come back,
and then to eventually need surgery. I have heard that surgery is not always
successful and can lead to permanent irreversible damage. It's a very scary
thought since I am a concert pianist and teacher as well.  >>

Greetings,
    Ah, at last something I know a lot about!   I have had this, had the
therapy, had the injections, then had the surgery.  It is an agrravating
condition, and once had, is more easily caused to recur.
    The problem is not directly attributable to hitting the key,  the
inflamed tendon is the one that is lifting your arm after you hit the key!  Itis
called "tennis elbow" because of the stress put on this tendon when pulling the
racket back,not forward.  For this same reason, do NOT get near a bowling alley,
since the action of bringing the ball up back behind you prior to sending
forward is extremely stressful on this tendon. So,  what I found was that my
technique had to change in what I did after striking a note.
    Think about how abruptly you raise your hand, and how much rigidity you
have in your wrist as you lift your hand off the key.  What helps me is to
constantly remind myself to keep a relaxed left arm as I tune and in lifting the
hand, allow the wrist to "push off" the key with a flexation, rather than
jerking my whole lower arm upwards.  This allows the muscles under the lower arm to
do some of the work.  Think fluidity of motion, and spread the working
movment over a larger area. The surgeon told me that the tendon in my elbow had
worked its way down into the joint tissue and looked like a rope that had been
been sawing through a rolled up rug!
    Once this condition occurs, it will be a painful return, and the rehab
hurts as much as the original problem.
Relaxation is key,(as with so many things), and the repetitive nature of our
work lends itself to these kinds of problems.  We have to think looser, work
looser, and be very conscientious about the ergonomics involved.
Malinda Powell gave a class in which she demonstrated a technique for keeping
the forearms loose.  It helped a great deal.
Good luck,

Ed Foote RPT
http://www.aol.com.</HTML>