Spring Rail

Annie Grieshop annie at allthingspiano.com
Sun Mar 18 09:58:44 MST 2007

It's a pretty straightforward task.  Here's how I do it:

*  remove the felt and clean the rail (dampen the felt with water, vinegar
or wallpaper-remover, which is also used in the next step)
*  dampen the "top" of the rail (from which you just removed the felt) with
glue-softening liquid of your choice, if necessary
*  pull out the old springs from the bottom (if the short end breaks off in
the rail, you can push it up and through)
*  stick new springs in the holes (be sure to match the curve length of the
old spring or you'll have problems later)
*  run a coat hanger or other small rod through the "loops" of the springs
so they stay parallel and steady
*  clamp the whole shebang to the edge of your workbench -- curved ends of
springs are down and curving away from you -- loops (and rods) are tightly
tucked into the cutaway corner of the rail
*  trim the ends that are sticking up to the correct length to fit in the
slots (based on the springs you removed and/or the length of the slots)
*  bend the trimmed ends over sharply and push/drive them into the slot with
the edge of a flat screwdriver
*  run a light coat of glue over the slots
*  glue on new felt
*  pull out the coat hanger rods (I forgot to do that once.... <g>)

If this isn't clear, feel free to write me offlist.  I'm sure other folks
can also refine this basic process and teach me some new tricks, as well.

Annie Grieshop
www.allthingspiano.com