Chopin's piano

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Mar 17 17:24:20 MST 2007

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

One thing about these types of things amaze me though. The article's author implies that by playing this 150-year-old piano of Chopin, you can new hear the music exactly as Chopin heard it. So like this piano hasn't deteriorated at all in 150 years? The piano was two years old when Chopin was playing it. I wouldn't be surprised is a new Yamaha sounds more like the two-year-old Playel that a 150-year-old Playel does. Seems pretty kooky to me.

I mean really. Think about it. We've all seen original 1880s Steinway A1s - multiple owners, neglected, worn out, moth eaten, hammers of swiss cheese, etc. Now what piano would sound more like a new Steinway A - the worn out 1880 A1 or a new Yamaha C3? I would argue the C3 - 'cause it sounds like a new decent piano.

Flame Suit all zipped up tight!

Terry Farrell