Broadwood Bass string

Carlos Ralon ceralon at comcast.net
Sat Mar 17 16:47:29 MST 2007

I am replacing a low single missing bass string on a 1865 Broadwood Grand. Why did they wrap felt around the winding as it goes over the bridge?  The original winding goes all the way to the twist for the pitch pin loop.  I have measured and have had the replacement string duplicated. Only the singles have this felt, but all the doubles still had the winding to the twist.  Should I install it the same way? A little help guys!
Carlos Ralon, RPT