Checks cause hammer bounce ?

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Mar 17 07:28:53 MST 2007

Hi David, thanks for bringing up so many other points.

Hammer flange and action frame screws are all tight for sure,  tho I
have not looked for play in the rail dowels which I suppose is an
obvious enough place to look so I will next week.  The symptom appears
in all bass notes, but lessens a bit at the end glide bolt and at the
one at the tenor/bass break.  But the entire tenor/treble section makes
not a move no matter how hard I hit a key.

Back rail is checked by using a long thin screwdriver down through the
strings and action and thubbing on it with the palm of my hand listening
for any sound at all.  I would imagine any force on the back rail in
this kind of problem would be downwards so I was looking for downwards
motion.  I check dags, usually by dusting a little teflon powder on the
area where the back rail contacts them, insert the action and run the
shift pedal a couple times, and then look at the rail.

I dont take off the the top action to do usual bedding work exactly
because of the chance that frame distortion can change everything and
render whatever bedding work I do redundant.

Its an older  Hamburg D.  Serial 398XXX.  I will also make sure of the
woods used since you asked on my next visit to it.  And I will measure
the amount of crown with a straight edge as you mention. Tho I do have
the bolts set to minimum pressure, which at least helped the rest of the
action quite a bit and lessened the problem in the bass. It also allowed
me to get reasonable blowdistance/keydip figures.... but thats another
story :)

Cheers and thanks for the thoughts.
RicB