Electric planer - upgrade time

jimialeggio5 at comcast.net jimialeggio5 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 16 19:41:04 MST 2007

Terry,

I reluctantly gave Grizzly a shot a couple of years ago.  Motor failed
in less than a year because a sheer poor quality, and rather
than get prompt service from grizzly, they told me to deal directly
with the motor manufacturer.
This meant being without the tool for weeks.

Never again...inexpensive stuff always ends up costing me much
more in the long haul than biting the bullet and purchasing quality,
or buying used and reconditioning(my time is the expense).

I always get much more for the money buying good used stuff
and reconditioning it. My planer is a 60's vintage heavy cast iron Delta 13" finish
planerwhich I love. I changed/resized the infeed roller to allow me
to kiss off thousanth when making splines etc.

The weird thing is, as I work through retooling my shop to deal with
the woodworking end of piano rebuilding, I find that the workhorses of
sash making/ fine millwork, like the planer are becoming less important
than they once were.

In any case if I were to look for a planer or jointer now, I would want one with
an indexable head and cheap throwaway knives,
so I could quickly change from steel to carbide knives.
Performing secondary work on laminated items with all those glue
lines blows good steel knives right out the window.

Which brings me to a question for you Terry.  What kind of drum sander are
you running?  Does it tend to create a slightly convex surface, or some other
slighlty non-flat surface?

Jim I