Checks cause hammer bounce ?

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Fri Mar 16 16:56:10 MST 2007

Ric -
I'm just trying to fill in with whatever seems not to have been
mentioned, even if it seems something too obvious to bother with:
Check solder joints of action rails
All hammer flange and action frame screws are truly tight?
Any play in the rail dowels?
Does symptom appear equally from playing any bass note? ie, less with
notes proximate to glides?

Since it's not clear exactly how you've gone about testing, some of
the following may be redundant.
You said you do all the bedding with the action frame on, but I would
look at the back rail stripped down.  Could the dags in back have
anything to do with it?  Is there any frame distortion when you
reinstall the top action?
You said it was an older D.  How old?  New York or Hamburg?  Is the
key frame oak? How much "crown" is there between balance rail and
straight edge running from front rail to back?  Measure under cross
members.  (sorry, my key frame terminology is deficient).

Can you (with some help) put pressure on the back rail while you are
playing notes?
Wedge the hammerflange rail
Wedge between pinblock and tops of balance pins

My biggest concern in all of this is that Andre's response might be
the most correct.  Let's solve this thing, for Andre.

David Skolnik