Chipped keys

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Thu Mar 15 21:20:58 MST 2007

Mark,

If you are intent on repairing that many ivories, I'd second the vote for
Acrilikey.  Works well.  Color match, with a little practice, can be pretty
good.  Not exact, mind you.  So keep that in mind.

As for grinding the fronts down.  Please don't.  Have you ever played a
piano with such a treatment?  It is really quite unpleasant.  At least for
someone like me with small hands who frequently uses the very fronts of the
naturals.  However, I'd imagine that most players, regardless of hand size,
play at the fronts frequently enough.  That 1/16" may not seem like much,
but it really is.  I strongly recommend against grinding them down.

Best,
William R. Monroe

> Hi Mark.  I've used the Acrilikey set with much success.  I've never done
> 21
> keys though.  Wow!  The kit will cost you about 60-70 dollars.  There is a
> little container of yellow powder that allows you to match the color.  A
> little goes A LONG way.
>
> Concerning grinding the edges, I've read about this somewhere but will
> leave
> it to others that have actually performed the task.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Michelle Smith
> Smith Piano Service
> Bastrop, Texas