what would you do.

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Mar 15 08:05:27 MST 2007

Sure I'd charge them... tho I would be careful going into such a job to
quickly walk the customer through its actual state before starting so
that they know for sure I'm not just another guy ready to fleece them
and run.

Show them what needs to be done, and if they want you to do it... do so
and get paid for it.

Cheers
RicB

    Today I tuned a piano which the owner said was tuned two weeks ago, but
    sounded badly.  The former tuner, listed in Chinese Yellow Pages (huge
    Chinese population here in Houston), left a mute in the piano, a
    phillips
    screwdrever, and screwed about with the fallboard.   The piano was
    from zero
    to 60 cents flat, 15-25 in the first five octaves, and about 25-40
    in the
    last two.  Amazing.  It was a pretty tough-to-tune LaPetite Kimball baby
    grand, however NOT untuneable in any way. Pins were very
    "Kimball-esque"-
    tight and consistent.    Would you have charged these folks for the
    pitch
    raise, having already paid for something they obviously "didn't get"?

    les bartlett
    houston