FRUSTRATION,FRUSTRATION,FRUSTRATION

PIANOTECHNICIAN at aol.com PIANOTECHNICIAN at aol.com
Thu Mar 15 07:36:04 MST 2007

I got a call from a very nice lady to tune her early 1900's Steinway "O"
that she purchased from a local piano dealer about a year ago. It needed "a
little more" than tuning. The soundboard, pin block, and re-stringing were all
very satisfactory, but thanks to the neglect and sloppiness of the dealer that
rebuilt the piano, all of the front and balance rail punchings were the
ORIGINALS, the hammers were new but most of them were hitting only 2 out of 3
strings with many of the shanks twisted in the wrong direction, the  sustaining
pedal was noisy and binding and never worked right --  even  though the store
sent their technicians a couple of times (the last "technician"  told her that
it was her imagination!), a bass damper sat about 1/2 inch off its  strings,
some dampers hardly moved when the note was played and many had to be  regulated
into the right position, there was a broken jack, a stripped out  rep. rail
hole,  the drop and letoff were way off in many notes, and the  string height
was very uneven for many unisons causing some bad buzzing and  voicing
problems. How could any dealer in his right mind even THINK of  selling a classic,
fabulous Steinway grand with the action needing hours of  work? Are people so
money hungry that they throw all sense of accomplishment,  artistry, and
perfection out the window? Where is the pride in turning a  classic Steinway into a
dream of an instrument? What this dealer did was like  restoring a beautiful
Rolls Royce to mint condition, but leaving a huge dent in  the fender. It makes
no sense. I wonder how many other technicians have had  similar experiences.
I've seen a lot of wonderful work out there over the years,  work that would
satisfy the most demanding concert pianists, but I've  seen THIS sort of thing
time and time again and it always gets me angry  frustrated. Can anyone out
there relate to this?

Jesse Gitnik
Since 1980
http://www.aol.com.