Another side of missed appointments

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Wed Mar 14 23:04:07 MST 2007

Hi all,

I have a client whose piano I tuned 3 times or so when it was brand new.  She is a nice lady, and we had good rappor.  She called to have her piano tuned again, but when I showed up at her house, she was not there.  Repeated phone calls brought no response.  I was irritated, and my feelings were somewhat hurt.  When you build up trust with a client, it hurts to have that trust broken.

Several days ago, 3 years after the broken appointment, I got a call from her daughter, who asked me to come and tune the piano.  I set up an appointment, and this time, when I got there, the daughter was home.  She said that there had been "issues," so they hadn't been able to get the piano tuned until now, 3 years later.  I asked if her mom was okay, and she said that her mother had almost died of pneumonia, having been in the hospital for 2 weeks with a fever of 106 degrees.

My lesson out of that event was this:  never judge people too harshly, particularly when you don't know the whole story.  There ARE things that take priority over getting a piano tuned.

Dave Stahl, RPT

Dave Stahl Piano Service
650-224-3560
dstahlpiano at sbcglobal.net