OT - Vista banned by FAA, DOT, NIST

John Dutton duttonjw at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 15:04:50 MST 2007

Well actually, when WinXP rolled out many companies chose not to go with it
for at least a year after release because of lack of drivers/compatibility.
Many of those same companies refused to use SP1 and then the more stable SP2
for compatibility issues as well.  It's not just Vista.  While a user, I'm
not a terrific fan of M$ myself but Vista compatibility is about more than
just security upgrades but also in the OS architecture as well.
Compatibility will always be an issue with an OS that is new.  It was an
issue when OSX came out for Mac too.

Heck, it is an issue sometimes even when an OS isn't new.  If it is really a
bother stick with Linux and don't even worry about M$. Oh wait, that's not
compatible with all my applications either. Darn.  I guess no one solution
fits everyone.

The federal government has way more out of date software and hardware than
anyone else and frankly I wouldn't roll out a new OS prior to ensuring I had
all my ducks in a row either.  As an example, when I got out of the Marine
Corps in 2002 all of the computers in my unit were running Win98 except two
which were inconceivably still on Win95.

John Dutton
Billings, MT