Checks cause hammer bounce ?

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Mar 14 15:38:11 MST 2007

Hi folks

I ran into a symptom I haven't identified before.  I was bedding an
older Steinway D today, and made sure all three rails were good and done
in the right order... yet I was still getting too much hammer bounce in
the bass section on a hard blow.  The rest of the piano was just fine...
just the bass section had this problem.  Started troubleshooting by
first lifting the whippen up with my finger and hitting the key hard to
see if there was any bounce... nope..  Then I lifted the hammer with a
shank hook and hit the key hard... still no bounce.... Then I noticed
that when I lowered the shank enough for the back check to make contact
with the hammer tail... the neighboring hammers started to bounce.  When
I let the hammer go into full check the full effect of neighboring
bounce kicked in.

I haven't managed to pounce out what the cure for this is.  Checking
distance is 15 mm... action is reasonably well regulated... drop is a
bit deep but letoff, dip and aftertouch amounts are all well within good
tolerances.

Any advice on the matter is of course very welcome.

Cheers
RicB