Falcone pianos

Horace Greeley hgreeley at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 13 13:29:35 MST 2007

Hi, Richard,

At 12:38 PM 3/13/2007, you wrote:
>Dear Marshall,
>You left out an important step in the Santi Falcone story. Bud Greer
>and Lloyd Meyer actually bought out Santi and offered him a postion
>as a technician. That was when Santi left the company.

Yes...though I wasn't going to name names, I suppose that it doesn't
really matter now.

>The Burgett Brothers did not get involved until Greer tired of the
>investment and let the company go into bankruptcy. It was the
>Burgett Bros. who bought the company oput of bankruptcy and have
>steered it to be the company that it is today.

This really is an important point.  As with S&S when Paley (CBS)
bought the firm from the family corporation, the alternative was to
lose the company altogether.

I'll stand by my earlier statement, though, that it was the hours in
each instrument that drove the original bankruptcy and
collapse.  There hasn't been piano building on that level (by a
manufacturer) in the U.S. since before WWI.  The instruments (as
Marshall noted, all 200 of them) were uniformly quite marvelous...as
long as you took them for what they were and did not try to make them
into something they were not.  My favorite remains the 7', but the
others were also very good.

>I know this because Cunningham Piano was a Falcone dealer AND a
>Mason & Hamlin dealer - we still are.

Best.

Horace