Performing on your work

Phil Bondi phil at philbondi.com
Tue Mar 13 05:33:54 MST 2007

Hi all.

I am posting this at the risk of sounding self-serving.
It's not meant to be. The only thing technical in this
posting is the style of tuning used for the piano in question.

The piano is a Chickering 507 - a decent smaller Grand from
Baldwin in excellent condition. The style of tuning used on
this piano was a 2-octave temperament relying heavily on
the 3:1 for the octaves.

I tuned the piano for a client about a month ago. At that
time, she informed me that she was going to have a little
get-together with friends and would I be interested in
playing for their little party. I said sure.

This past Sunday was the party. I spent 2 hrs. straight
playing mostly Standards(solo piano) and some Pop stuff. I
never felt fatigued or bored playing on this piano. I feel
it is because the piano is in good regulation, and the
tuning was way pleasing to these critical ears.

This posting is just a friendly reminder that we, as
technicians, should understand that there is real joy in
playing a piano that feels and sounds good..even the
less-than-desirable pianos that we service can be enjoyed
much more with our best effort put forward. I'm not saying
that we do NOT do that, but this weekend served as a
reminder for me that people will enjoy our best
efforts..especially those with critical ears and touch!

-Phil Bondi(Fl)