Seasonal pitch change:

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Mar 11 07:33:57 MST 2007

Even so called "equal tension" scales are not really equal tension as there
are variations within each gauge section.  I would imagine there are a
confluence of factors: case, soundboard, bridge, plate expansion and
contraction, friction, scale tension/break point variability.
Interestingly, even 100 years ago in the discussions of the major
manufacturers of the day catalogued in "Piano Tone Building" edited by Del
Fandrich, there is reference to string tension as a factor in tuning
stability.  Let me know when you figure it out though.  As Bill Ballard is
fond of quoting: "I gotta go to woik".

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com