Seasonal pitch change:

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Mar 11 01:26:03 MST 2007

Hi Jason

Everything reacts to temperature changes. Metal does too.  So no doubt
the plate does change its dimensions some. But no-one has even come
close to measuring the effect this eventually has on tunings. Nor has
anyone looked at what degree any change in rim height, or other case
dimensions can effect tuning.

In the end tho basically one (or both) of two things can happen seen
from the strings perspective.  Either the speaking length is altered due
to a shift in the relative positions of the two terminations to one
another, or something can cause a change in the over length of the
string.  A tilt in the bridge could effect the former, bridge deflection
changes can affect the later.  Pin block tilting could also effect the
later tho I dont think anyone has shown this actually does happen.

My approach is to take a look at what results in any specific assumed
change.  And both of the ones we've looked at so far dont seem to
account for the pattern of out of tuneness that we see occuring.  I cant
help but thinking that there is something more significant going on at
bridge endpoints and breaks then has been tabled so far.  But who knows ?

Cheers
RicB

    At the risk of sounding stupid, I am compelled to ask again: Does the
    cast-iron plate change its dimensions with temperature changes? The
    distance
    from tuning to hitch pins might change just as railroad tracks
    shrink and
    swell in length - no? I'm just thinking it must be a contributing
    factor.

    Jason