Seasonal pitch change:

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Mar 10 16:33:11 MST 2007

>> Why would there be no down force on the bridge "for a bit"? And how,
>> if soundboard rise and fall will have so little effect on tuning,
>> would that explain it anyway? And what would conceivably make
>> soundboards bulge at plate struts?
>> Ron N
>
> I'm thinking of designs where there are no strings running under the
> struts, and thus there's a horizontal gap of an inch or two between the
> bridge pins for strings on either side of the strut.  No strings, no
> downforce in that small area; bulging?

I see. There is still down force under the cutout, because the
bridge is still continuous, though weakened by the cutout. The
lowered stiffness there will likely affect the tone some, or
even a lot, but not the tuning. No bulge.

>If the bridge itself is plenty
> strong, is it just the scaling problem caused by the interruption of the
> strut that creates the instability?  (As you mentioned in an earlier post)

Yes. Actually, I wouldn't exactly characterize it as
instability. It does just what it was designed to do - goes
out of tune more than everything around it. It's just that the
designers either weren't aware, or didn't care about the
ramifications of the design.

> --Cy--
>
> P.S.  Wish I could come up to Salt Lake next month.

Then come ahead on. If you don't, you'll just stay home and work.
Ron N