Zodiac score - orchestra and solo piano

Mark Schecter schecter at pacbell.net
Sat Mar 10 12:33:53 MST 2007

Hi, all.

Well, I've seen Zodiac now, and I can finally breathe again. Living in
the Bay Area, where the real story took place, we've been inundated with
press about the movie. I don't know if it's been as prominently hyped
elsewhere, but it's playing everywhere around here. (I'm based in
Oakland, which didn't really figure in to the story.)

The score, composed by David Shire, was recorded at Skywalker Sound,
where I maintain the pianos, a Bluthner concert grand, and a Yamaha
CFIIIS. The CFIIIS is used throughout the score, both in ensemble with
the orchestra, and especially thrilling for me, in several meaty solo
piano cues, including the end credits. All piano parts were performed by
the composer.

I thought the movie was really well done, with excellent acting, fine
cinematography, and plenty of suspense, even if you think you already
know the outcome. Lots of shots of San Francisco, various bridges, and
locales around the Bay. Now that I've heard it, I'll have to go back and
watch it again! (Warning: there is some graphic violence.)

In case any of you all get out to see the movie, I would be very
interested to hear any comments, criticisms and reactions you might
have to anything regarding the instrument, the recording, or the
composition by David Shire and how it worked to underscore the drama.
Thanks, and I hope you enjoy it!

-Mark Schecter