STRING COVER+FIRMER TOUCH

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat Mar 10 09:04:03 MST 2007

Figuring where to place the lead is easy if you have a scale.

Measure average DW on sample sharps and naturals.
The difference is the amount of back lead to place in the naturals.
If the sharps measure 58 g DW and the naturals 52g, 6 g worth
of back lead is required (-6 FW) to bring them up to 58g.

Measure and note FW average on a few naturals. Tare the scale
and locate a lead behind the balance rail until it reads the difference.
I have found it to be 6 g usually.

If the average FW on the naturals was 11g and you lightened them
by 6 g, the new FW is 5g.  Place A0 and C8 on the scale and locate
one or two leads behind the b/r to effect 5g FW.

Attached is a photo of an eyeletter which I purchased from a used
tool store (gotta love these places).  I can adjust the length of the
plunger to swage the lead efficiently.

Drilling and swaging: 45 minutes.  In shop, keys removed that is.
--

Regards,

Jon Page