STRING COVER+FIRMER TOUCH

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Fri Mar 9 23:16:56 MST 2007

I've found that most all inexpensive small verticals need
re-weighting/balancing of the keys. Upgrading to a better piano or not, once
you have the procedure down, it is a couple hours work with minimal part
cost, and major improvement in touch. If I had to play on a You Name It
console, this is the one repair/upgrade I would consider worth while. This
is really going to help repetition and touch. Many of these pianos have
upweight of 12 to 15 grams, they just don't play well, the least bit of
friction and notes fail. These same skills become essential when working on
performance pianos, why not learn to drill and swage leads on a console and
make someone happy? Magzallia has an awesome press that makes the job fun.
Fenton