Seasonal pitch change:

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Mar 9 01:46:46 MST 2007

Ron, and others.

I have written several previous posts these past two years on this
subject. Indeed the previous thread just a couple weeks back refered
this thinking back your way. I suppose I should take it back further and
credit Newton, as he was the first who brought my attention to it. Who
and what stimulated his thinking way back when I dont know. Since Newton
however, I've run into several folks around the globe who have been
skeptical about the rise and fall of the soundboard idea.  All these
inputs eventually got me to thinking about looking at it from a
consequences view point.  I contacted a couple math folks I know, Sarah,
Mark Davidsen, and my friend Alex Galembo for thoughts on using basic
geometry to show changes in tension for changes in deflection.  Youngs
modulus had to be considered, but beyond that it was pretty basic to
show the kinds of basics I wanted to show.  And I have a good deal of
off list correspondance with several other knowledgeble folks on this
and several other matters. As you say, up to this point this particular
subject has has not seen much in the way of concrete work done on it.  A
simple math model simply strengthens the thinking on this line so far.
It's hardly a conclusive study had has nothing to do with miracles. It
does show people are thinking, and physical measurements are no doubt on
the way, by more then just myself as well.

About the slanted pins thing...  I'm not sure at this point I buy it.
But I havent thought it through much yet.  I would point out though that
you evoke the concept of strings being moved up and down the bridge pins
by the surface of the bridge.  Seems rather at odds with previous
statements I've heard from you on the string seating theme.  That said I
dont see this affecting the speaking length (sideways I suppose you
mean) enough do account for more then very marginal affects in long
strings. An increased offset angle between the two bridge pins might
contribute some, but like I say I havent thought  bridge pin caused
lateral change through much yet.

Ric B

    Ron N wrote:

    Since the role in soundboard rise and fall has apparently
    suddenly and miraculously been discovered to be relatively
    inconsequential to the process, I expect that shortly after
    the flurry of rim and plate movement, rotating pin block,
    rolling bridge, and warping continent theories dies down for
    lack of rational connection, the observation that string path
    length changes with strings being moved up and down bridge
    pins slanted in apposing directions by humidity induced cap
    dimensional changes will be equally suddenly and miraculously
    discovered as being a likely candidate, to the edification of
    - some, maybe. That is, if anyone actually runs some physical
    tests and thinks about it.

    Hey, it could happen someday.
    Ron N