What would Steinway do

Allen Wright akwright at btopenworld.com
Tue Mar 6 14:09:28 MST 2007

Jurgen,

What I was contemplating was more along the lines of what specific
parts you might keep if it were possible to pick and choose between
the two instruments (rather than getting into issues of manufacturing
techniques or quality control - maybe that involve an different sort
of "fantasy merger").

For example, some on the list have mentioned their strong preference
for the NY-type pedal setup. I myself kind of like the action-
mounted sostenuto, because it allows such easy access to dampers - so
I might choose that version (although I  know I'd be in the
minority). Another NY thing I like is damper underlevers that are
screwed (rather than glued) on the rail; I spent some annoying time
the other day popping off damper underlevers (they're glued on the
rail in the Hamburg, like in the old NY pianos - at least in this
70's-era Hamburg B I'm working on) in order to simply travel
underlevers (and by the way, speaking of quality control, quite a few
of these were quite badly traveled at the Hamburg factory; I'll be
interested to as I spend more time with Hamburgs to see how generally
well-crafted these instruments are). On the other hand, I love the
way the damper felts are actually cut at an angle to match the actual
angle of the block in the Hamburg...well, you get the idea. If one
could pick and choose...as I say, it's only a thought experiment.

One could even imagine taking parts from  Steinways of different
eras. So, you get the idea. Sort of in the spirit of "if I were the
king of the world".

Oh, I should add - choosing parts from other manufacturers would not
be allowed!  : )

Allen Wright