Pianist's impression, was : What would Steinway do

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Mar 6 12:02:32 MST 2007

Hi Andre my friend !

Nice to see you back on the list again after so long.  I'm not sure I
agree all the way with you in this post.  As you say, the world is
changing.  I think as piano manufacturers become fewer... as they most
certainly will despite Chinas advent on the scene.... the smaller shop
will perhaps have a better shot at making big gains, especially if the
remaining manufacturers do not live reasonably well up to expectations.

The buying public will get more persnickety by nature of their fewer and
more specialized numbers. And the dominance of a single producer will no
doubt fade... as all things eventually do.

I agree that affecting change on present day companies is difficult at
best.  But then on the other hand I am sure that the rebuilders I know
of in todays world would be equally defensive if it came down to it.
Most of these guys are pretty clear about their own building philosophy,
and unless they know you very well and have very high esteem for your
views they are not going to listen more then cordially at best me
thinks. And so it should be.  Why should a Ron Overs for example build
pianos the way a Delwin Fandrich or a Udo Steingræber thinks he should
?  Let alone taking advice from some guy he hardly knows ?

Still, the one man show has loads more potential for at least some of
this kind of flexibility and openess for input.  The manufacturer doesnt
have much at all. Especially if they are riding a winning ticket. But
all this is in the process of change.  With the onslaugt of electronics,
and the rest of this Virtual World developing before our eyes... I think
the day of the small shop is just dawning myself.

When it becomes prestigious and exclusive again... to by the best from a
handful of builders spread across the globe because they produce the
best.  We'll see.

Cheers
RicB

    I think in the end it is only a matter of power and money.
    There are not very many piano makers anymore and there are not very
    many piano buyers either.
    So the interaction between buyers and makers is insignificant anyway.
    Technicians who dare to stand in between and speak up risk getting
    punished for their professional honesty, so many piano technicians
    just back off and remain silent.

    Now, in the world of cars for instance, it is totally different.
    Cars are being tested every day everywhere, and they are being
    criticized by professionals in many many car magazines.
    Both the public and the manufacturers are highly sensitive to what is
    written and said about their cars.
    The amount of cars being fabricated every year is staggering so...
    factories had better listen carefully and adjust and adapt to their
    customers because the amount of money involved there is staggering
    compared to the piano industry.

    It is my experience that only in some occasions do some technicians
    in some piano factories listen to colleagues 'in the field',
    resulting in some minor changes, and only every now and then.

    friendly greetings
    from
    André Oorebeek