Pianist's impression, was : What would Steinway do

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Tue Mar 6 08:03:53 MST 2007

Marcel
  Your experience with pianist echo's many.  As far  as dialogue with the
makers go I don't find that the big corporations listen to  anything outside
their own walls. I just sat with Kent Webb from Steinway &  we had a very
congenial discussion about my unhappiness with the hammers &  the way they are coming
from the factory.  That is being heavily pre  juiced. He stated that the parts
dept was a secondary function to manufacturing  & that the hammers weren't
going to change.
  Marcel ,They're not looking or listening to us they're  looking at the
bottom line & how to make there job of getting pianos out the  door & make a
profit with the least amount of cost & fuss  within the factory.
  It's a nice idea but in reality it's just a nice  idea.
 As far as grateful. Yeah baby....vertigree.... collapsed  boards..... &
teflon bushings will keep me an Dennis in  business  till we retire & beyond.
  By the way every one bashes the CBS years at Steinway  but they had some
really good belly makers then & into the 1980.s.  It  was the actions that were
primarily the factor that has given them bad  PR....but hey, folks still buy
them...Let's here it for Marketing & Tone  branding.
  I still get my best raw materials from the mother ship  albeit used
  Cheers
  Dale

I  think we should be grateful to Steinway and all manufacturers that
gave us  all these instruments we can improve in the rebuilding process.
And I think  we should open a communication line with all of them to air
our complaints  and worries, not to bitch, but for them to stay on their
guards and build  the best pianos they can within the present market.

Marcel Carey,  RPT
Sherbrooke, QC

http://www.aol.com.