DST instructions for PC and PDA

John Dutton duttonjw at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 08:59:22 MST 2007

With all due respect, if M$ wants to spy on your machine anytime you go
online they can access it. After all, they wrote the code for the operating
system.  The same would be true of Apple.

By not utilizing the Automatic Update feature, *the average user is not
getting the critical updates they need to keep their machine running safely
because they can't remember to do this themselves*.  One of my many hats is
as a network engineer/tech support and I see this all the time-out of date
antivirus software and lack of anything resembling a critical update.  If it
does not automatically update itself then the machine is at risk.  To order
a CD for every set of critical updates would be not very efficient.  And in
point of fact, every time you browse the web you are likely giving up more
personal data than M$ is collecting.  [Of course, every time you use a debit
or credit card you give up data about yourself.  Every time you make a phone
call you give up data about yourself.  Every time you give someone your
SSN....well you get the picture.]  I have in the past managed many a machine
with semi-legal copies of Windows operating systems-not XP or Vista to be
sure-and M$ never shut them down through the Automatic Update process.

To recap, computers are far more vulnerable if they do not have up-to-date
antivirus software and up-to-date "Critical Updates" (leave the optional
ones alone if you will) than they are without.  I personally prefer to have
anti-spyware as well.  M$ is not going to suck out the insides of your
machine during the process.  You give up tons of data you don't even know
about when you browse the web or shop at the local grocery store.  Paranoia
in this instance won't help keep you or your machine safe.

John Dutton
Principal Horn
Piano Technician
Computer Network Engineer